
Yesterday, my mother-in-law passed away after a battle with congestive heart failure and massive surgeries these past 3 months. It started with a broken hip and 2 hip replacements, then a broken femur and 2 bedsores that wouldn't heal, so they took care of them surgically. Her heart has been bad since I've known her and doctors refused to do surgery on her in fear of her not making it thru the surgeries, but when she broke her hip, they had no choice, but to go in a fix it.
Her family remembers her with a warped sense of humor. She asked Paula and John to play the duet "Tea For Two" at her funeral. Knowing it wasn't a typical song for a funeral, especially an LDS one. She had a quote at her house "What happens at Grandma's Stays at Grandma's" a play on the popular Las Vegas slogan. She spoiled my boys with coins, clothing and tons of toys at Christmas, Easter and whatever celebration she could make up.
My sister-in-law Louise said that after her divorce, before she met John, she prayed she would find someone whose parents would accept her kids, and Dorthella did that. She saw no difference in Louise's kids - they were just like Paula's and Connie's. It made no difference that they didn't share the Price blood or name.
And she treated my boys the same way. It did not matter to her that they were adopted- they were her grandkids. She had a soft spot in her heart for Daniel and had sleep overs with him some Friday nights. They would get cheese pizza and a movie and she would let him watch tv until he fell asleep. In the morning she would make him pancakes and take him to the beauty shop to get her hair done and then because he behaved so well, would take him to Toys R Us for a toy and then to Provo Bakery for fresh donuts. She would pick him up from school and let him stay with her until Vince was home from work. And her house is where he would run away to when he didn't get his way at home.
She loved babysitting for us or helping take my brother to his doctor appointments, so I didn't have to take time off of work. I loved taking advantage of her help, and I sure am going to miss that willing attitude of hers.
I would go over and visit and learn all about her growing up or her courtship with Robert and about her finding out she was pregnant with Vince and how he was "just what their little family needed". Family meant everything to her and she was very close to Robert's family and to her only living relative, her nephew Rick. She loved having holiday dinners hosted by her. She did not want anyone of us to have to work if we didn 't have to.
She was very vain about her looks. Not one hair could be out of place if she was to leave the house. She had her hair done every week and always had it colored a bright auburn. She was thin and petite, and never seemed to eat, but you could not leave her house without her trying to feed you a five course meal. No wonder I've put on so much weight since I got married! I tried to not eat, but still when she would buy a rhubarb strawberry pie and heat it with icecream on top, it was hard to say no.
She told me once she loved how stubborn I was and independent. She liked how I stood up to her and how I was getting her kids to see they could be stubborn with her too. (They never learned). She never seemed to be able to tell people no when it came them taking advantage of her, she seemed to think it was okay to serve on them hand and foot. I would not let her serve me and she finally was able to sit and eat while we did the same.
She said she trusted my judgement and wouldn't make major or even minor decisions until she asked me what I would do. I laughed at that, but it seem to give her confidence to go get a reverse mortgage and a new car.
I will miss her spunk and kindness and I know my kids will too. But she is now back with her best friend and husband and out of pain and loving the big family reunion on the other side.
3 comments:
We are so sorry for your loss. We will miss Dorthella, too. She was so accepting of us as well. We felt like family around her. I remember having Thanksgiving Dinner over there one year. She was so gracious. We will think of her fondly. Hang in there ... you all will be in our thoughts and prayers.
I was sorry to hear about Dorthella. I hope things are going o.k. for you and Vince. You are in are prayers. Talk with you soon.
I remember how much Grandma Price would feed me cookies.. and Grandpa price would sit there and tell me "don't argue with grandma..it's impossible..." boy was he right.. that goes for all the grandma's out there. haha. I'll miss the both of them.
Post a Comment