Sunday, September 9, 2007

A Tribute to My Father-In-Law







Monday Morning, Vince's mom called to say she thought Dad had gone, but he was just breathing shallow - but within an hour she called to say he had passed.
I have been in the Price family for 15 years and for 10 of those years Roberts has suffered the effects of a stroke that centered on his communication skills - speaking and writing, but he was able to let me know exactly what he wanted or needed and he made sure he could say my name even if it was hard to form the sounds. I remember how excited he was that Vince finally found someone to marry and when we moved next door, he made sure my rose bushes were trimmed and watered. Dorthella thought he ruined them, but they never bloomed better than when he tended them.
He loved our boys and was so proud that Daniel shared his name of Robert. He couldn't have busted any more buttons if he tried. Even though he was hard of hearing, when we brought Simon over to meet him for the first time, he beamed from ear to ear and kept repeating Simon's name for all to hear.
Dad loved to sing and in the earlier part of our relationship, I would take barbershop music over to play on the piano and he would sing for hours. The last time I heard him sing was to sing "Happy Birthday" to Daniel almost a year ago.
I would take over samples of my canning and soup making skills and he would gobble it up. What would surprise me was when I'd give them zucchini relish and the next day they would give my an empty jar - 'cause he ate the whole thing for dinner!
At the viewing on Friday, just before the funeral, Daniel tapped me on the shoulder and said "I'm going to miss Grandpa" and so will I.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a sweet tribute to Robert. We will also remember him as a kind, loving grandpa AND the time we watched him ride his bike backwards on the handlebars! I've NEVER forgotten that -- who could?!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.
Love,
Steph

Sylvia said...

Your tribute to your father-in-law was very nice. I am glad you were able to live next door to him and spend some quality time with him. I know he will be missed.

Love,

Sylvia

Where The Price is Right